General Membership Meeting
Minutes and Pictures from the Meeting to be added later
The 2018 Annual General Membership
Meeting of the Gwinnett Senior Softball, Inc. (GSS) league was held
on Saturday, December 1, at the Gwinnett County Senior Center located
at Bethesda Park. The Senior Center opened at 9:00 a.m. The meeting
began at 9:35 a.m. and ended at 12:15 p.m.. Breakfast snacks and
coffee were served.
Members were asked to make every effort to attend
the meeting so the Board of Directors could have an opportunity
to listen first hand to their concerns and thereby be better informed
and able to proceed with decisions impacting league play based on
the consensus of members in attendance. In accordance with the association's
by-laws, a quorum was needed (20% of the eligible
membership) for the election of officers. 78 members attended
the meeting - quorum was met (35% of
the eligible active paying membership - 224).
Special thanks to the following individuals
for helping to make the Annual Meeting a success!!
- Kerri O'Kelly, Bethesda Senior Center - Meeting room, microphone,
screen, podium, coffee.
- Board Members - Breakfast snacks and Set Up
- Jim Hannah / Harry Harrison – Loaning Projector / Set
- Kathy Walker - Pictures
- Jose Pena – Donated an original work of art featuring
American League players for auction with 75% going to Hurricane
- Jose Pena - Donated 2 additional works of art for door prizes.
- Eurskine Lyons – Donated Miken Freak Bat
- Emmitt Pharr – Donated Combat Bat
- Clyde Sirman – 2 Free Rounds of Golf / Discount Cards
for Golf at Country Club of Gwinnett
- Larry Ellison - Donated $50 Home Depot Gift Certificate
- Dallas Howard - League Mailings
- Gwinnett Stripers – Autographed Baseball – Atlanta
Braves Mike Foltenevitz.
- All the individuals who came early and helped in setting up.
Topics Discussed at the Meeting
- Old/Unfinished Business - 2017 Meeting Minutes - approved by
- Special Guest – Emily McArthur - Gwinnett Stripers - League
Night Out – Friday, May 10, 2019
- 2018 Season
- Mike Grobman, Treasurer, was out of town. Bob Morrison presented
the financial statement - approved by members present. Any
questions about the 2018 report can be directed to Mike via
phone or email.
- New League Web Site to be rolled out in 2019 - John Gordon
did a presentation showing functionality of the new web site.
- Membership Update - Membership (active paying members)
increased overall 2.2% with a 12.5% increase in the 45-59
age group. Membership statistics were available for members
at the meeting.
- First and Second Half League Results and Tournament Team
results were available for members at the meeting.
- Recognition of League Commissioners, Team Managers, and
individuals who have helped out during the year.
- Recognition of Team Sponsors and Umpires
- In Memoriam – First time the league has not heard of
any deaths in year.
- Jim Smith Sportsmanship Award – Gene Mayhue
- Members were asked to submit nominations of players who
they felt were deserving of the award.
- This year we received several nominations and all were deserving
but we could only have one winner.
- Harvey read the 2 nominating statements from Tommy Wiggins
and Bill Cook.
- A $25 donation in Jim Smith’s name will be made to
the American Cancer Society.
- Election of Officers for 2019
- President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer are elected
positions voted on by members. Officer term is 1 year.
- Two League Commissioners nominated by President and approved
by the Board – Term up to 4 years.
- Three At Large Members appointed by President and approved
by the Board – Term up to 4 years. At Large Members
serve as an Advisory Council and will step into a mandatory
position to continue operation of league.
- Bob Morrison, Floyd Dembo, Mike Grobman and Doris Warpole
agreed to be re-nominated for President, Vice President, Treasurer
and Secretary, respectively.
- Officers were elected to their respective positions - approved
by members present.
- 2019 Season
- Shirts – League is looking at a dri-fit/cotton blend
vs dri-fit to lower cost for shirts. Final decision on league
fees and shirts will be made at the January Board Meeting.
- Field Availability - Softball field (Mon-Thurs); Baseball
field (Tues/Wed/Thurs); Practices - Mon and Sat (additional
week day may be added through March)
- Gwinnett County maintenance during off season
- Reassess the drainage problem on both fields, reapply
- Check left field lights on the softball field
- Follow up on a safety net on the softball field from
LF to LC
- Increase size of warning track on softball field
- Out of County Resident Fee – No increase - remains
at $90 per OCC resident
- Light Fees - No increase in per hour per field fee –
remains at $9 per hour
- League Play - 2-3 week break between seasons (depending
- One Pitch Annual Memorial Tournament in late September
- Break Out Discussion Sessions - American League and National
- Suggestions from members were discussed and results recorded
- Consensus of members will be presented to Board in January
to prepare for 2019 season.
- General Information
- Gwinnett Senior Golden Games - March 27 to May 7, 2019
- Door prizes were given out during the meeting and included
6 top prizes:
- $100 gift certificate from Dick's Sporting Goods
- $50 Home Depot gift card donated by Larry Ellison
- Freak bat donated by Eurskine Lyons
- Combat bat donated by Emmitt Pharr
- 2 works of art donated by Jose Pena
- Chris Bolden’s bid of $300 won the Jose Pena Original
Work of League Art.
- There was a “bidding war” between Chris
Bolden and Clif Parker during the meeting.
- Jose said he will create another original work
of art featuring National League players next year.
Members can contact a member of the Board of Directors if they
have any questions about the topic to be addressed at the meeting.
Mayhue - Jim Smith Sportsmanship Award
Back to Top
Gwinnett County's Senior Center
at Bethesda Park
225 Bethesda Church Road
Lawrenceville, GA 30047