2011 Memorial Tournament
Saturday, April 23 - Bethesda Park
IDC 3 - 0
GA/AL Masters 2 - 1
Hendersonville 1 -2
Gwinnett 60's 0 - 3
IDC - 58
GA/AL Masters - 46
Hendersonville - 36
Gwinnett 60's - 36
Classics - 39
Hendersonville - 33
Gwinnett 70's -31
Nuggets - 16
Thanks to all of the teams and players that came
out and played in the Memorial Tournament.
We had 8 teams participate with players from GA, NC, AL, and SC
(60 Division and 70 Division). The Gwinnett Senior Softball Executive
Committee appreciates your support of the tournament honoring league
players and spouses that have passed away.
The tournament started at 9:00 a.m. with Gary Mastrodonato,
League President, welcoming everyone. Bert McDade, Vice President,
gave the prayer. Gary read the names of the players
and spouses who have passed away with the league recognizing
their spouses present with a gift card. Dale McWhorter and Harry
Mansell spoke a few words about JW Austin
who passed away unexpectedly two weeks ago. Bert read the Les
Boswell prayer. Gary read the poem "Around
the Corner" by Charles Hanson Towne.
Play started at 9:30 a.m. The
sky was overcast with a slight breeze, and the sun came out around
1:00 p.m. Wasn't too hot - a great day for playing ball. We
were able to finish all games by 4:30 p.m.
THANKS to the following individuals who
helped make the tournament a success this year!
- Scott Juhl, Gwinnett Parks and Recreation,
lined the fields, kept the batter's boxes in great shape, and
picked up the trash.
- Ed Davis and Bill Grimes recruited the teams
that participated this year.
- Ben Wiechman recruited players for the Gwinnett
60's team and managed the team.
- Norm Lebedin recruited players for the Gwinnett
70's team and did team registration and collected fees.
- Rick Rhodes managed the Gwinnett 70s team.
- Tena Stanfield bought the donuts and helped
out with pictures and picking up trash.
- Bill Grimes bought the ice for the water coolers.
- Frankie Baldwin brought the gift cards and
gave out to the players/spouses that attended in memory of their
- Larry Milleville brought the extra bases from
- Tom Burliegh donated his time by keeping score
for the 70 Division Teams.
- Tom Pressley donated his time by helping out
with the ice/coolers and and keeping score for the 60 Division
- Jim Hannah and Naomi Harrision donated their
time by taking pictures.
- Wayne Griffin and Harry Mansell helped out
with the ice and water coolers.
- Harry Harrison brought his 2 water coolers.
- Ed Brown Jr, and Bruce Caldwell did a great
job umpiring all the games.
- Josh Caldwell filled in as umpire for one game
on field 9 so we could get the 60 Division games done early.
- Brian McNutt operated the concession stand
for us - not only did they have great food at reasonable prices,
he also provided free coffee all day.
SPECIAL THANKS to CHARLIE
BLACKBURN!! Charlie donated
his time to be Field Manager for the day. He got the keys for the
fields, made sure the scoreboards and lights were operating and
stayed around to the end to lock up.
If I missed anyone that helped out, please
let me know so I can add you to the list to be recognized. This
was definitely a team effort!!
60 Teams and Tournament
Back to Top
70 Teams and
Back to Top
Back to Top